Reflection on Assessment Administration Discussion

Week 3 Administering the test

Week 3 Administering the test

by Carrie Fisher -
Number of replies: 1

Well I kind of went about this assessment backwards.  Knowing that I had to create an  assessment and use data director and timing of life, I gave the assessment first.  I was just starting to teach a unit in Everyday Math so I used the checking progress as a pre-test.  I gave it and scored it by hand.  I then created the assessment in Data Director.  It was interesting because it was the first time I had created an assessment that was not all bubble sheet.  I had to use the number grid and emailed Mitch quite a bit to get it right.  Because I had so many number grids I could not scan it and I had to enter the data by hand.  It turned out fine.  The cool thing was once I got it in I could see what areas I really needed to target in the unit and what things they had a pretty good handle on. 

If I were to do it again, which I plan on, I will create the data director assessment prior to giving the assessment.  I also started using the kid friendly learning objectives and it seems to be helping.  At the end of a lesson, a student came up to me and said, "Mrs. Fisher I CAN create a line graph based on data."  It was pretty cool.   

(Edited by Mitch Fowler - original submission Tuesday, May 1, 2012, 01:54 PM)

In reply to Carrie Fisher

Re: Week 3 Administering the test

by Mitch Fowler -

For what it's worth, the line from your student should be on a commercial! That is so cool that you are seeing results already.

As for the test, you are correct, you did do it a bit backwards. However, you still used DataDirector to analyze the data to help you make the decisions. To be honest, I'd rather have that as opposed to a teacher who creates a really elaborate test in DD ahead of time, gives the test, and never looks at the data!

Well done!