Quality Classroom Assessment Discussion

Quality Classroom Assessment

Quality Classroom Assessment

by Carrie Fisher -
Number of replies: 4

Depending on the content area, our level of quality of our assessments varies.  For example our district has done a lot of work in regards to our English Language Arts and math, however social studies and science have barely been touched. 

Overall I feel that the purpose is there but we have not been intentional about posting learning targets.  I think it is interesting that it can increase students proficiency by 27%.  I think this is the first thing I am going to start implementing. 

For me one of the roadblocks is that the majority of my time with students is spent pushing into the general education classrooms.  The general education teachers I work with generally create the lessons and assessments.   I then just implement and or use what they tell me too.  In order for me to have an impact on creating quality assessment I will have to make time to work with my teachers to create the units, etc. 

In reply to Carrie Fisher

Re: Quality Classroom Assessment

by Lesley Hagelgans -

I think TIME is the biggest hurdle we all face.

We need it to create the assessments, enter the data, and reflect on the data plus working with our Special Ed teachers to adapt it.

Good point.

In reply to Lesley Hagelgans

by Andrea Read -

I really like how you mentioned needing time for reflection. Often, that is skipped.

by Mitch Fowler -

I like where you are starting Carrie. As I mentioned to Bobbi in her post, I wish I'd started with posting learning targets for just one subject instead of all of them at once. I'm eager to see how this goes!

by Andrea Read -

I think it is interesting that it can increase students proficiency by 27%.

I have spent some time thinking about that statistic. I think it is a little misleading but I would have to read the research before knowing for sure. I bet the research found that those who knew what they were learning scored 27% higher which makes sense. I can remember why back when I struggled with long division. I knew what we were learning. Knowing that did not improve my skills.

Yes, I am going to start letting my students know what they are learning. With that clear understanding, I hope my students will take more ownership in their learning process.