Data Conversation Forum

Data Conference

Data Conference

by Vicki Banfield -
Number of replies: 0
I used the school assessment report. This was actually a post assessment for my students, and most showed proficiency. The students did not do as well on essay questions with HOTS. My colleague observed that kids tend to do better when there is scaffolding, but without those same supports on a test, they don't make the same transfer. I am planning to meet with small groups who wish to retake the test. If this had been a pretest, I would make sure we practice the essay type response more often. To make the data conversations go more smoothly, I think colleagues need to have similar planning times. The biggest challenge of this whole process was getting the data enterind in DD - the bubble sheets were frustrating because not all the student sheets were read by the scanner, and I had to go back and enter/fix a lot. I don't think it's the conferencing itself that will be an issue - - it's the data collection that led up to it and the time it takes to collect that data. Our building started some started administrator led data conferenincg in the fall, but it did not continue. The conferencing from then on depended on grade level and content. When it came time for teacher evaluations at the end of the year, one of the big questions that came up was - what is proficient and what shows a year’s growth? Everyone seems to be at a different level when it comes to data conferencing. On a positive note, we have PLC time that could be used for data conversations.