Quality Classroom Assessment Discussion

Week I Discussion - Quality Classroom Assessment Discussion

Week I Discussion - Quality Classroom Assessment Discussion

by Cristina Eyre -
Number of replies: 1

My reply is going to be twofold: 1) From my perspective of a building administrator and 2) How I would like to be able to model the use of this as a building administrator.

First, let me say that I believe that we have many assessments in place in our classrooms and commonly by department. I believe that we have a culture that is starting to focus on how to make these assessments of higher quality and more applicable in a timely fashion. I think that our biggest roadblock is the number of things that we ask our staff to do. If we could focus solely on the Keys to Assessment Quality: 1) Clear Purpose; 2) Clear Target; 3) Accurate Assessment;  and 4) Effective Communication, I believe that our differentiation, purposeful instruction and strong evidence of student learning would occur naturally.

Secondly, my perspective as an administrator using these concepts personally is one I try to use. I have surveyed our middle school staff to identify their needs for professional development time/training throughout this year.  I would like to somehow figure out how to incorporate the data into data director, so that I model what an effective tool that it can be. I want to be able to model our school improvement meetings, professional development time, and planning time meetings how we want to see a teacher using these same strategies in the classroom. Again, my roadblock is the same...time... I often start with great intentions, but some "requirement" or some trouble shooting always seems to get in the way. I am so passionate about the need to move into the direction of quality assessments for quality instruction, I need to figure out how to keep this in the forefront of my priorities.

I have no idea if this babble makes sense or completes this portion of the assignment, but hopefully it does.

In reply to Cristina Eyre

Re: Week I Discussion - Quality Classroom Assessment Discussion

by Mitch Fowler -

This 1000% completes this portion of the assignment! I applaud you for modeling what you are asking your staff to do. It can sometimes be a tough sell for teachers to jump into using a tool that their administration is not familar with. I've heard from some administrators that the level of DataDirector anxiety has decreased in their building because they were able to troubleshoot a few simple issues for their teachers because of their familiarity of the tool.

Pretty soon you'll be leading DataDirector PD!