Quality Classroom Assessment Discussion

Week 1 Quality Classroom Assessment

Week 1 Quality Classroom Assessment

by Emily Subers -
Number of replies: 1

The aspect of quality classroom assessment currently in place for my assessments is MY purpose-- I know I want students to aquire enough content knowledge to be able to use that knowledge to make reasonable decisions/ conclusions about it.  The aspect I will immediately put into place is to DIRECTLY inform my students what THEIR purpose is--to to aquire enough content knowledge to be able to use that knowledge to make reasonable decisions/ conclusions about it.This will include directly stating learning targets instead of assuming that students "get" what their target isI will also immediately begin to ensure that my targets and my assessment methods "match" because that seems only fair to students.  The biggest roadblock to implementing Quality Classroom Assessments across the board is probably time.  I can see working it through a Unit at a time in a single course, but I can't see working it through all units in all courses at one time.

In reply to Emily Subers

Re: Week 1 Quality Classroom Assessment

by Mitch Fowler -

Emily, great point about assuming that students "get" what their learning target is! I know before I began posting learning targets I assumed they knew what we were at least discussing that day. However, after posting learning targets I started to stop periodically during my lessons and ask kids "What are we learning today?" It took a while for kids to be able to reference their learning targets, but it worked. It's funny how intential we need to be in order to train kids to take charge of their learning and their progress towards their goals.